Scrap Arts Music offers a variety of interactive, ear- and eye-opening, informative, inspiring workshops! Here are a sampling…
Found Sound Workshop
Gregory Kozak, artistic director, composer and instrument creator for Scrap Arts Music, will conduct a hands-on interactive talk about “Found Sound” and the possibilities of creating musical instruments from recycled and salvaged materials. Performing excerpts from MainStage repertoire, the ensemble will demonstrate techniques used to create the music in Children of Metropolis. Gregory will discuss the origins and evolutions of his mobile, kinetic instruments and offer participants the chance to make musical sounds with them. He will discuss where to look for and assess materials with sonic potential, and how to develop that potential. He will also work with participants to organize found sounds into a sonic palette, while developing simple musical ideas as a finale to the workshop.
Limit: maximum 30 participants
Musical experience: Can be tailored to skill level of participants
Venue: Theater stage (where the instruments are located)
Contact us to discuss the possibilities!
Rhythm & Movement Workshop
Workshops are led by Scrap Arts Music Artistic Director, Gregory Kozak, with the assistance of company members. Gregory Kozak composes the music performed by Scrap Arts Music, creates the choreography and designs and builds the group’s unique instruments.
This workshop will explore:
- Drumming techniques and composition
- A variety of drum patterns
- The creation of a musical piece
- Choreography using Scrap Arts Music instruments
- The importance of healthy diets and physical training
Workshops follow this process:
- Each Rhythm & Movement workshop begins with a physical warm-up with stretching
- Scrap Arts Music will perform one piece from its repertoire demonstrating the possibilities of rhythm and movement with the instruments
- Participants are divided into smaller groups to develop musical ideas under the guidance of members of Scrap Arts Music
- Participants explore rhythmic patterns based on language and movement
- Time permitting, the movement patterns and musical ideas of the sub-groups are brought together to form one piece, resulting in the creation and presentation of a kinetic percussion piece involving all participants
All Workshops either:
- Children, ages 10-16, or
Adults, ages 16 and older
Time: 1 hour Workshop (More intensive, multi-day workshops possible)
Limit: maximum 30 participants
Found Sound Workshop with Instrument Making
“Found Sound workshop with Instrument Making,” is a longer format workshop which allows artistic director Gregory Kozak time to give a detailed overview of his instruments, as well as an introduction to making scrap instruments. He will demonstrate how he incorporates an understanding of the physics of sound and ludic pursuit in the creation of his scrap “orchestra”. He will lead participants in the creation of a few easier instruments while offering suggestions for how to compose with these. The size of the workshop to be limited to under 25 participants. Materials for instrument making will be required. Length of workshop, tbd.